How to fix the internet
- Do not participate in any online service that monetizes your time or attention
- Do not participate in social networks too large to be human-moderated
- Restrict the size of the social networks you participate in
- Slow down the pace. Disable, delay or batch notifications.
- Eliminate the temptation to 'dunk on' anyone or otherwise broadcast an interaction to anyone other than the participants of an interaction
- Eliminate recommender algorithms
- Where possible, only participate in services with open standards and data portability
- If you own the platform, then tag reshared data with a provenance chain maybe?
- Avoid anywhere that selfies or self-projection is the point
- Do not "follow" brands or even allow them to exist as people in the social network, they are not people
- Do not follow celebrities you do not personally know
- Provide tools for a person to split their social media presence into separate and discrete personas
- Always preserve and provide context for discussion, as opposed to a single stream of disconnected noise
- Demand search features that work
- Don't make users use 'endless scroll' to go back in history
- Maybe unsourced information spread should be a violation that gets an account warned then banned
- Don't be the frog in the boiling water, when a site starts abusing its users it doesn't suddenly stop, start planning your exodus
- Spam is no longer the main threat, it's hate & disinformation
- Stop boosting every piece of bad news that hits your feed
- Monitor yourself for whether you're sharing something that makes you happy or you are performing for likes
- Nobody will ever exclusively 'own' a digitized asset that has been placed on the internet, do not try to bring physical scarcity into the digital world you are destroying them both
[I'll take a break here I am out of ideas]
NO SE PIERDA NADA, O NO SERÁ NADIE
El impacto constante de la tecnología en nuestra vida puede erosionar todas nuestras perspectivas sobre lo que disfrutamos o lo que odiamos. Pero ¿por qué nos angustia esta nueva presión digital?
Mastodon.la es una instancia generalista y ligeramente moderada. Bienvenidos todos los temas con buena onda, respeto y sin desnudos innecesarios :). Castellano/Español y otros lenguages bienvenidos. / Mastodon.la is a generalist instance lightly moderated. All opinions are welcome. Be cool, respectful and leave your clothes on if possible :) Spanish preferred but all languages are welcome.